Honors Chemistry Name________________________
Empirical Formula Worksheet
Mr. McAfoos Period______ Date_____________
1. A compound is comprised of 15.8% C and 84.2% sulfur. What is the empirical formula?
2. A compound is comprised of 43.6% P and 56.4% O. What is the empirical formula?
3. A compound is 92.3% C and 7.7% H. The GMM is 78.1 g/mol. What are the empirical and molecular formulas?
4. Determine the empirical and molecular formulas for a compound that is 80% C and 20% H and has a GMM of 30 g/mol.
5. Calculate the empirical formula for a compound that is 18.5% Na, 25.8% S, 19.3% O, and 36.4% H2O. (Note: the 19.3% O does NOT include the oxygen in the water. Note2: Treat the water as anything else…just use the GMM of water instead of an atomic mass to convert to moles.)
6. Determine the percent composition of the following compounds:
a) ammonium acetate.
b) Lithium bromide
c) Silver dichromate
d) Phosphoric acid