AP Chemistry -- Pre-Schrodinger Quiz
1. In the space below diagram the apparatus used by Rutherford. Explain what he did, what he discovered (or calculated) and any limitations to or problems in his work.
2. What is terminal velocity, why does terminal velocity exist, and where could you fall without experiencing it?
3. In the diagram below and the accompanying explanation of the work done by Millikan you will find some basic problems (some is not a number specific word!). Fix all of the problems
4. Each scientist in the list below created a model of the atom and in some cases disproved some part of a prior scientist's theory. For each scientist, describe his model of the atom and tell what changes, if any, he made to the work of a previous scientist.
5. Derive Thomsonís charge to mass ratio (e/m). Be sure to label all variables, explain why all things set equal are, in fact, equal.
6. What are the major problems with Bohr's model of the atom?